The Sunday 16th August marks the 200th year since the birth of St John Bosco who was born in 1815 at a village called Becchi, near Turin in Northern Italy.
Salesians and all members of the Salesian family across the world will be celebrating the bicentenary of Don Bosco’s birth in the week leading up to 16th August as well as the day itself.
Many celebrations are planned in the Province of Mary Help of Christians [Australia, Samoa, Fiji and New Zealand]. Every Salesian parish will celebrate a special Mass on August 16. Please keep in touch with your nearest Salesian parish for more information.
Here are a few celebrations across the province:
- Whole School Mass celebration of the BIcentenary with Archbishop Denis Hart on 12th August at Salesian College in Sunbury
- 10:30 AM Mass at St. Anne’s Parish in Sunbury
- 9:30 AM Mass at St. John Bosco Parish in Engadine in New South Wales.
- 10:30 AM Mass at Our Lady of Rosary Parish in St Marys NSW, followed by festivities in Don Bosco Youth Centre
- Special Mass and Celebrations at St Francis de Sales parish in Salelologa, St John Bosco parish in Sinamonga and St Michael’s parish in Leauvaa in Samoa on Sunday 16th August
- Parish celebrations in St Peter and Paul’s parish in Gawler SA
- Salesian Family Day Mass at St John Bosco Brooklyn Park 16 August at 10:00 AM, followed by international food and dress activities in the St Mary Mazzarello School Hall.
- Three Salesian schools in South Australia will gather together on Tuesday 18th August at St John Bosco Primary School in Brooklyn Park for the Bicentenary Celebrations.
- A special Mass will be held at St John parish in Glenorchy in Hobart, Tasmania on Sunday 16th August.
- Salesian parishes in Massey and Avondale in Auckland, New Zealand will be hosting the Bicentenary Masses on 16th August with activities
- A grand Salesian Family Day will be held at Salesian College in Chadstone on Sunday 16th August from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM. All are welcome!
- Every secondary and primary school under the Province of Mary Help of Christians will celebrate a special Mass in the week leading up to the 16th August.
The above list is known only to the author. There are a lot more celebrations happening throughout the province in every community. Please enquire your nearest Salesian community for further information and celebrations.